1.31.2010

L'església del mar.

A sad story focused on the Middle Ages of a poor guy who becomes rich, but his misfortune doesn't disappear anyway. All he does has a tragical ending, fact that proves how hard life could be in Medieval period if you didn't belong to a recognized family.
Year 1320: Bernat Estanyol and Francesca Esteva get married. Troubles start when the feudal forces Francesca to go to bed with him that same night. Francesca will never forgive Bernat because he didn't avoid his wife abuse. When Arnau's born, Francesca is asked to be a nursemaid in the feudal castle and she gets her son with her. There, she's raped by multiple soldiers and Arnau is abandoned. Finally, Bernat decides to take away his son from that castle and they run away to Barcelona. Finally, the story is focused on Arnau's life. 

I love reading. I usually do it in summer, because I haven't got the time while the school is going on; and during the school year I must read books imposed from different subjects. I like reading them too, but however, I prefer reading a book chosen by myself.
Personally, I really enjoyed reading this book. I read it two summers ago and I think it's one of the best books I've ever read. In my opinion, it shows the medieval city of Barcelona, its way of life and its difficulties. Characters are from the lower class of the society, and L'església del mar shows the relationships they established with the higher class, exactly as they were in reality. Reading it, you can get an idea, you can imagine Barcelona at the beginning of the 14th century, because Falcone's capacity of describing a situation, a scenery and all characters is brilliant.
The only think I maybe didn't like was that, as it's a historical book, there are a lot of historical passages, because it's important to get situated. They are hard to read, but they are useful to know well the situation in time and history of the story. 
On the whole, I'd like to recommend L'església del mar to all people who likes reading. It's a tragic story: there are some stages it seems to end well, but then, something surprises you and it ends in such a bad way, that it makes you feel really sad. However, this book is worth reading it! 

L'església del mar: **** a masterpiece

1 comments:

Uri said...

I still have to start it, but as you said during school time there isn't much time for reading...

Thank you for lending it to me^^

Cu!